Sunday, March 4, 2012

Clogged Drains and Spam

I'm pretty sure the only things that have gone down the garbage disposal lately are egg shells, and they are supposed to be good for garbage disposals.

I'll cover the spam in my next blog (gives me something to talk about), but I couldn't resist a little word play. And yes, I'm referring to Green Eggs and Ham.

Friday was Read Across America which also coincided with (what would have been) Dr. Seuss' 108th birthday. I had an opportunity to observe this special day at a local elementary school. I had wondered what took place and admit to having been a little skeptical when hundreds of children invaded and then inhabited the open library and adjoining walkway spaces.

As you can imagine, they were pretty excited to be doing something so outside their normal school routine. The noise and activity seemed antithetic to an atmosphere conducive to actual reading, but surprisingly, little by little, the students settled and became quiet (if not silent) and most were indeed reading. Some of the reading material might have had questionable value (video game strategy guides, manga, etc.) but reading is reading and most kids seemed to be reading traditional enough fare. I saw several copies of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and one fifth grader was in the last eighth or so of The Hunger Games. He'd even brought Catching Fire with him in case he finished the first book.

The principal later read Horton Hatches the Egg which I'd never read (or heard read) before. I think I only have one Dr. Suess book left, and that's my personal favorite, One Fish, Two Fish, but it has somehow ended up wedged between The Chicago Manual of Style and an ancient copy of Make Every Word Count which I think is hilarious. I think Dr. Suess would agree.

Then I found this video which I thought was pretty cool, and it has Danny DeVito and Zac Efron helping to mark the day (and blatantly promoting the new Lorax movie which I won't see, but I admit to having a crush on Zac).



And in case that's not your cup of tea, have some Imogen Heap covered acapella by an amazing young singer. I love it!



Oh, and my clogged drain? I finally got it open with baking soda, boiling water, and a plunger!


Reviews for The Glister Journals: Bronze


More Glister info and chapters at the book's website here: theglisterjournals.com

And please "Like" us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment