Sunday, November 2, 2014

Review: Cinder

It's been a while since I read these books, but as I hope to read Cress (the third book in the series) soon, and Fairest (the fourth book) is out in about three months, I figured I should get to it! Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles series is set in a futuristic/alternative reality earth. Although the books are re-imaginings and intertwinings of very familiar fairy tales and characters (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty--at least the evil queen!) the settings and story lines are firmly in science fiction territory and YA accessible. Which is all kinds of awesome. I love Marissa's writing (with one exception - see Scarlet), her characterizations, and stories.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I wasn't initially drawn to this book. Much as I adore science fiction movies and shows, I'm not crazy about robots/androids/cyborgs/etc., so the cover actually put me off. I didn't want to start a book I already had doubts about (as far as liking the main character). Silly me.

First of all, I need to talk about Marissa's world. That's what drew me in and changed my mind as soon as I began reading. Due to my uncertainty, I got it from the library first. I was immediately thrown into a busy futuristic marketplace with a fusion of high and low technology and predominantly Asian atmosphere a la Whedon's Firefly (not as dark and brooding as Blade Runner). By the time I was halfway through the book I was sold on Marissa's writing and the series and had to have my own copy.

Linh Cinder is a part human, part robotic teen girl who works in the marketplace of New Beijing. She is famous for her expertise in mechanics and does a good trade there, helping to augment her family's meager income. That family is, of course, a step mother and two step sisters. They and all the residents of New Beijing are struggling to function and make a living through a deadly plague of unknown origin with no known cure.

As the story opens, she is tending the stall in the marketplace and brooding about her foot. She has outgrown it. The accident that left her in need of robotic parts happened when she was a small girl and she hasn't been able to find - or afford - replacement parts to keep up with her physical growth.

Enter Prince Kai. He has come to the marketplace, undercover, seeking her renowned expertise to repair a family droid. His reasons for secrecy, beyond not wanting to get mobbed by his adoring subjects, remains obscure for a while but makes sense later on. Her reason for hiding her foot - and her cyborg physiology - is the crush she has on him, just like every other female subject including her adorable android sidekick.

Hanging over all is the threat of invasion by the mysterious Lunar queen and her forces if diplomacy fails. And diplomacy insists on marriage.

Although I found some of the plot and back story (not necessarily related to the original fairy tale) a little predictable, I enjoyed the read immensely and look forward to the rest of the series.


Currently writing: TGJ Book 2 Chapter 27.

Listening: All of the musics.

Reading (finishing): Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

Watching: Downton Abbey



Reviews for The Glister Journals: Bronze

More Glister Journals info at the book's website here: theglisterjournals.com

The Glister Journals: Bronze can be purchased through any bookseller, or purchase now at Amazon.com

Note: All original text and materials by or commissioned by B. B. Shepherd are copyright 2012-2014 to China Blue Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment